This is not a definitive list. I may decide to sail for a couple of days and then stop somewhere else than planned. Or the wind maybe totally against me so I end up staying in one location for an extra day.
The rest days are not listed simply as I will sail when I feel fit and rest when I know when I need to. It was the same when I crossed Russia in 2015, I stopped in Omsk and Krasnoyarsk for rest days even though I had not planned for them.
If anyone has a suggestion for a stop along the route or sees something wrong, please leave a comment. I plan to either tow my tender or bring an inflatable dinghy.
The route is as follows:
- Clifden to InishTurk: 27 nm
- InishTurk to Blacksod Bay: 27nm
- Blacksod Bay to Ballyglass: 26nm
- Ballyglass to Killala: 35nm
- Killala to Drumcliff Bay: 22nm
- Drumcliff Bay to Donegal: 29nm
- Donegal to Teelin Harbour: 18nm
- Teelin Harbour to Tramore Strand (Donegal): 26nm
- Tramore Strand to Cruit Bay: 18nm
- Cruit Bay to Fanad Head : 33nm (maybe split over 2 days)
- Fanad Head to White Strand Bay: 10nm
- White Strand Bay to River Bann moorings:28nm
- River Bann moorings to Ballycastle: 20nm
- Ballycastle to Carnlough Bay:21nm
- Carnlough Bay to Belfast Bay: 23nm (Definite rest stop)
- Belfast Bay to Knockinelder Bay: 27nm
- Knockinelder Bay to Ballykeel Bay: 23nm
- Ballykeel Bay to Drogheda : 26nm
- Drogheda to Ireland's Eye: 20nm
- Ireland's Eye to Greystones: 16nm
- Greyatones to Arklow: 24nm
- Arklow to Wexford: 31nm (possibly 2 days)
- Wexford to Loftus Hall: 31nm (Hook Head)
- Loftus Hall to Dungarvan: 24nm
- Dungarvan to Ballycotton : 25nm
- Ballycotten to Folareal Bay: 34nm
- Folareal Bay to Bullock Island :21nm
- Bullock Island to Dunmanus: 31nm
- Dunmanus to Darrynane: 31nm
- Darrynane to Portmagee: 16nm (Valentia Island) (2 day stop)
- Portmagee to Great Blasket Island : 16nm (2 day stop)
- Great Blasket Island to Brandon: 20nm
- Brandon to Carriagaholt: 28nm
- Carriagaholt to Kilkee: 26nm (Loop Head)
- Kilkee to Inishsheer: 25nm
- Inishsheer to Roundstone : 25nm
- Roundstone to Clifden: 23 mm (Slyne Head)
This is a total of 906 Nautical Miles or 1677 KM
This is not a definitive route. I am still checking guides and online sources and charts.
The exact time to do the route will depend on weather, wind and tides, all well if I feel tired or not.
This is being done to help raise fund for the brave crew of RNLI Clifden. They are an amazing bunch and deserve all the help we can give them. Of course, this applies to all RNLI crews.